Skip to main content

Chapter 8 motif

The Bible

" I was so far away from home, yet there was nothing familiar in my surroundings. Except the Bible; I picked it up and sat back on the bed, allowing its blood-red-edged pages to ripple beneath my thumb...I turned to the book of Genesis but could not read."

TIM has just arrived in Harlem and he is sitting in his hotel room reminiscing on his life back home.

TIM’s allusion to Genesis, the creation story, is symbolic of his beginning in Harlem. He was excited to get to Harlem but that he’s there he’s lonely and hasn’t done anything towards making a new beginning to himself, it’s as if he “could not read” his creation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epilogue

the symbolic object in the epilogue is invisibility  "I'm invisible, not blind" pg 576  the symbol represents how through the whole novel TIM has been trying to seek acceptance and power from everyone powerful but he has finally accepted he is invisible and has seen the truth with his eyes and even though no one can see him he is fully aware of everything so he is not "blind" anymore. 

Chapter 2 Symbolic Object

Full quotation w page number: " Then in my mind's eye I see the bronze statue of the college Founder, the cold Father symbol, his hands outstretched in the breathtaking gesture of lifting a veil that flutter in hard, metallic folds above the face of a kneeling slave; ..." Context for the quotation: The narrator is flashing back to his memory of a college campus. He remember this college's bronze statue of its founder, who is a black man. Explanation: The statue symbolize oppression and advancement. The idea of viewing a person through the veil is active in this quote with terms like " kneeling slave". It symbolize advancement because at that time, not many non-white man were honored in public. The society was a white dominant society.